Bertine Colombo McKenna PhD, FACHE
Dr. McKenna has over 30 years experience as a senior health care executive. She has worked in five states and over 7 healthcare organizations including being a CEO for a managed care company in Vermont. She has worked in long term care, insurance company, hospitals and home care , health systems , but her love is healthcare systems. Dr. McKenna has her bachelors, MBA and Ph.D. and is also a Fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives. At Bassett, she was responsible for the day-to-day operations and programmatic performance of the over $700 million organization. Dr. McKenna was the COO for the entire system which encompassed a 700 employed practitioner Medical Group, five hospitals, 35 clinical outpatient centers, three ambulatory surgery centers, two long term care facilities, a DME company and Home Care Company. In this role Dr. McKenna was a Corporate officer and was responsible for Board relationships, compliance, quality/safety, hospital and medical group operations, budget, integration strategies, strategic planning and much more. Dr. McKenna currently is President of Healthcare Consulting , a consulting firm she began, now in its infancy.
Dr. McKenna’s many accomplishments include:
- Instrumental in providing guidance for Bassett to obtain Magnet recognition designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
- winner of the HANYS Quality Culture Award,
- served as Regent for ACHE for the NY Empire Region
- received a Regent Service Award for her service to ACHE
- received Quality Award from Healthstream (for best quality recognition scores by the public)
- received the American Heart Association Award for Outstanding Effort in Conquering Heart Disease and Stroke
- Received Operational Excellence Award from VHA
- recognized for quality work by the NY Presbyterian Forum for Culture of Safety
- Received appointment for Bassett from IHI as a mentor hospital on Getting Boards on Board” for quality and safety
- received laureate award from Computerworld and the award for “Most Connected” Hospital in 2007
- awarded “excellence Through Insight” award (for highest community perception of quality among rural healthcare organizations in the nation) from the Jackson Organization
- Instrumental in Bassett securing “Top 100” healthcare system recognition.
- “Leveraging Patients as Safety Partners” selected for New York Presbyterian Symposium
- Adopted West Jefferson Hospital as our “sister” hospital during Hurricane Katrina relief and received recognition from the City Council
- Recognized in Hospitals & Health Networks, Fast Company and Vantage Point for innovative leadership
- Professor and Guest lecturer for community college, Simmons College and the University of Vermont
- Received the Harvard School of Business Negotiation Certification
- Serves on many Boards
- Member of exclusive HANYS Chief Operating Officer Forum
- Chair of the VHA COO forum
Two little known facts. Dr. McKenna was on the Regis Philbin show some years ago advocating for healthcare for certain women’s diseases and started the first New York City chapter and free clinic for the Endometriosis Foundation.
The second little known fact is that Dr. McKenna is one of 10 healthcare women executives who has been serving on the Helen Ptochia Foundation Board which has built a hospital in Ghana Africa for young women suffering from a fixable but deplorable condition. Her efforts have created hundreds of new lives for young women in Ghana who otherwise would have been ostracized from their communities and perhaps died.
She sings as part of an acappella group. She loves movies, music, her friends and family, and especially her husband Patrick and dog Max.